Have you ever noticed that everything seems to happen in the summertime? Some might say that the summertime is rejuvenating. Some people believe that it’s exhausting. Why is this? The first day of summer was June 20. Before you dip into the summer months too fast, remember to combine activity with the right amount of down time, too. Don’t do too much too fast.
The truth is that there are more things to do in the summer. Does is seem like your calendar fills up much faster? One reason might simply be because it’s warmer and people become more active. Winter hibernation is over! People are enjoying the outdoors, soaking up the sun, participating in summer activities, and even smiling more. Everyone wants to get so much done during the summer months. So how can you balance it all and not get stressed?
Here are 5 tips to help you stay balanced this summer:
- Don’t forget to work out. You knew this one would be on here, right? Exercise does something for your mind, body and soul. There are many studies about how regular exercise can help you live a longer and happier life. So why do we push it to the back burner? Because we are too busy or it seems too hard! This summer, take the time to do small workouts throughout the week. Use 5 lb. hand weights while watching your favorite flick. Take a regular walk around the property – consider tagging along with a friend. Does your community offer group exercise classes? There are many ways to exercise your body. Just don’t forget to do it. If this means taking a few other things off of your list to make sure it happens, it is worth it. Working out can help everything else feel more balanced.
- Get enough ZZZZZZZZZ’s. Are you getting a good night’s sleep? There are many reasons why people are not getting enough sleep at night. It could be that you are having too much caffeine during the day. Maybe your brain is on overdrive. Perhaps there is something serious distracting you and making it hard to sleep well. Sleep deprivation is a scary thing. Have you ever gone weeks without getting a good amount of sleep? Have you noticed that it affects you in multiple ways? There are many sleep disorders out there. It could me a medical issue that you haven’t addressed yet. If there’s something you can do about it, now is the time. Get some sleep and you will feel like a new person!
- Learn to say no. You’ve probably heard this one your entire life, but do you practice it? During the summertime, it seems like there are so many fun things to do. People get out more and want to come visit you more often. Do you find this rejuvenating or tiring? If there is something going on or someone asking you to add yet another event to your schedule, be honest with them and say NO. It’s OK to say no. It’s even OK to say no to yourself. If you find that you are running around in circles trying to do it all, sit yourself down and have a talk with your inner teenager. Don’t overdo it. Relax and understand that – it’s OK not to get everything done at once.
- Take time for yourself. Are you the type of person that is constantly doing things for others? Take time to focus on what makes you Ask yourself what energizes you? What drains you? What makes you the best you? The first step is to understand yourself and your needs. You might be 60 years old and still not know this about yourself. What would someone else say if you asked them these questions? Do it. See what they say! Take the advice of others and yourself. Do the things that truly make you happy and energized. Once you begin to do more things that you actually want to do, you’ll find that you’re more balanced and relaxed. Don’t do something just because others think you should – unless it’s your doctor telling you to do it, of course. Take the time to read a good book or two this summer. Watch your favorite movie several times! Do that art project you’ve been wanting to do! The perfect balance in life happens when you take time for yourself, too.
- Spend your days with the right Do you have certain friends or family members that bring out the best in you? Are there particular friends that push you to your limit too much or too often? Pick your company wisely. It’s important to have special time in your life, but not at the expense of your sanity. Spend time with the people that matter! You might consider sitting down and thinking about the people in your life and how they make you feel. Does Jan, your friend from Thai Chi, always complain and talk negatively about her life? You might want to limit your time with the Jans of the world. It could be weighing on your life and zapping your energy level. Just because you think you should spend time with Jan, you don’t have to. Avoid situations and people that are taking away from a balanced lifestyle that you need.
Exercising, sleeping right, learning to say no, taking personal time and keeping the right company might seem like obvious things to do, but many Americans are neglecting to do them. If you find yourself feeling exhausted or overstretched, you might need to take a few hours to reflect on your life. The things that are bogging you down could be the obvious things that you are simply not seeing.
We hope you have a wonderful summer! Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.